Kylian Mbappe is reportedly set to stay at Paris Saint-Germain this summer after Real Madrid walked away from negotiations with the French club.
The LaLiga side made a late move to sign Mbappe before the transfer deadline last week but saw an opening bid of £137million rejected. Real then increased their offer to £145m plus £9m in add-ons but this was also turned down.
According to French outlet L'Equipe, the Spanish side's offer expired at 5pm UK time. Reports in Spain had suggested Real would be prepared to increase their offer to £172m but L'Equipe say PSG have denied this claim.
The report claims Real will not make a higher offer and have decided to walk away from any potential deal.
PSG are desperate to hold on to the 22-year-old but risk losing him on a free transfer next summer.
Mbappe is out of contract at the end of the season and has so far resisted signing an extension, with his heart seemingly set on a move to the Bernabeu.
The club's transfer chief Leonardo was furious with Real's attempt to sign Mbappe and accused them of an 'illegal' approach.
In a interview, Leonardo said: 'PSG's position has always been to keep Kylian. That's been the aim for the last two years and it remains unchanged.
'We made him (Mbappe) a big offer two months ago – at the level of the best players – and another even more recently which was even higher, but this is a strategy of Real Madrid, to have the name of one of our players.
'For the last two years the behavior of Madrid has been incorrect, illegal, getting in contact with his representatives, unacceptable, completely incorrect towards us. And the proof of this strategy is to present an offer seven days before the market shuts and a year before the end of his contract. It seems like a strategy that suggests they have tried everything.
'It's not the sum [offered] which we believe to be a long way from what we were thinking. And we are not going to sell a player for less than we paid for him when he was 18. We have to give a certain amount to Monaco and the offer is not sufficient.'
'I'm not going to get into figures but the €160m is less than we paid for him. But this goes further than this.
'It's the way things have been done. It's disrespectful. We have done everything for Kylian to be with us and one week [from close of market] we are not going to change plans. If a player wants to go he goes but under our conditions.'
But there was no doubting Mbappe's commitment to PSG on Sunday as the forward scored twice in the 2-0 victory over Reims.
When asked about his star player after the game, Mauricio Pochettino said: 'Will Mbappe stay? Well, he's our player.
'The football industry is full of rumours. Our chairman and Leonardo are very clear. He is here with us. I am very happy to have him. He is one of the best. It's a gift.'
KingJerryTheGreat
656
Real Madrid Fans right now after hearing such DEVASTATING NEWS....
lillyboi
622
All real Madrid need is little bit patient about Mbappe next year we can have him for free ⚽️⚽️💯💯💯🤷🏾♂️🤷🏾♂️🤷🏾♂️🤑🤑🤑🤑
oppicialmosalah
306
Sorry mbappe, you know Madrid try their best to sign you, but al kahelaifi failed to do so, he is the very so selfish man I have ever seen in my life......... SEE YOU NEXT SEASON😓😓
KingJerryTheGreat
166
I guess we won't see Mbappe in this jersey this Season. The Lad literally doesn't wanna play for 6th Farming League but the team is forcing him to. Anyways Real Madrid can get him for FREE in 10 months time.....