Liverpool are weighing up a second bid for exiled Newcastle star Alexander Isak, who's been called up to the Sweden squad ahead of their two World Cup qualifiers which take place after transfer deadline day
Sweden manager Jon Dahl Tomasson admits there's no chance that Alexander Isak is ready to play 90 minutes - despite calling the Liverpool target up for international duty. Isak, 25, hasn't played a competitive match since May, having missed the entirety of Newcastle's pre-season campaign amid his transfer standoff.
The striker has repeatedly told Newcastle chiefs that he wants to leave the club and join Liverpool, whose opening bid worth £110million was rejected earlier this month. The summer transfer window closes at 7pm on Monday.
Newcastle have no intention of selling Isak and boss Eddie Howe hopes that he can be reintegrated into the Magpies' squad. The 25-year-old has trained alone for most of the summer and is lacking match fitness.
However, Tomasson still included Isak in his 23-man squad for Sweden's two upcoming World Cup qualifiers. The Scandinavians take on Slovenia (September 5) and Kosovo (September 8).
On Thursday, Tomasson spoke about Isak's situation at a press conference and warned Liverpool that Isak will be rusty if he signs for the Premier League champions. "Can he play 90 minutes? Of course not. Not at all," the Sweden manager told reporters.
"Alex is a very professional player, a strong character, and he has worked hard. He is a game changer," Tomasson added. "I have spoken to him several times; mentally, he is strong. What we have said stays between us, of course.
He also said of the saga: "It is very difficult to have a clear opinion about the situation. We do not know what has happened in the club. We must be very careful about drawing hasty conclusions when we do not have the whole picture. He is smart enough, he is smarter than me I think."
How much should Liverpool bid for Alexander Isak? Let us know your price in the comments section.
Howe addressed Isak's situation after Newcastle narrowly lost 3-2 at home to Liverpool on Monday night. "I have no idea where that (Isak) stands at this second," the Magpies boss admitted.
"The ideal from Newcastle's side is we want clarity, we want to move forward. We want the narrative to change. We are in the start of the season now and we have to get results and try to focus on what we can control. We've given two really good performances and taken just one point. That's tough for us to take.
"The quality of Alex would have made a difference in the two games, there's no denying that. But that said the team functioned well and the performance doesn't happen without every part of the team functioning well."