Tottenham news: The latest Spurs headlines and gossip with updates on Harry Kane, Roberto De Zerbi and Arne Slot
Your morning Tottenham digest on Friday, May 26.
Harry Kane has given fans a small hint that he may well be settled in London ahead of a summer that is widely expected to see some major offers come in for his services. With just over 12 months remaining on his contract and several of Europe's top sides keen to add a new striker, he is as good as it gets.
For his sporting achievements for club and country, the 29-year-old striker was given Freedom of the City of London. Speaking about the honour, he said: "This award serves as a reminder that hard work and dedication are crucial for success and motivates me to continue making a difference across the country and in the city that I love and grew up in."
Although it may not seem like much, Kane's ties to London may well serve as motivation to stick through more troubling times at Tottenham and ignore any potential for a transfer this summer.
Feyenoord manager Arne Slot has confirmed he will be staying at the Dutch club amid strong links to become Tottenham's next head coach. The 44-year-old has been quoted in AD saying: "I have been hearing a lot of rumours going around about other clubs' interest in me.
"Although I am thankful, my wish is to stay at Feyenoord and continue working on what we created last year. There is not - and there has not been - transfer conversation and yesterday’s meeting was exclusively for an extension. All talks with the club have always been only in that sense. I'm looking forward to next season with Feyenoord."
Slot was the firm frontrunner for the vacancy in north London, but chairman Daniel Levy now looks as though he will need to reassess his managerial short list. Appointing a new director of football is still required and that is likely to be Levy's main issue to solve for the immediate future.
De Zerbi update
Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi has not ruled out leaving the club in the near future with Tottenham in desperate need of a new head coach. Spurs had been linked with appointing De Zerbi in the wake of Antonio Conte's dismissal but talks went quiet after Julian Nagelsmann became the clear favourite.
"I didn't say I will stay a long time," De Zerbi revealed ahead of Wednesday's clash with Man City. "I will stay next year but not because I don't want to stay a long time because I am used to saying something if I am sure that I won't lose my work," De Zerbi said at his pre-match press conference on Tuesday.
"It can happen if Tony [Bloom] doesn't sack me, no? It can happen. I want to feel the fire in my work. I want to feel a strong motivation and I want to enjoy. Until that moment, probably I will stay."